Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A New Chapter


For those of you taken aback but this post's title, don't worry! I'm not switching to a different Space Marine Chapter. I would never turn my back on the Blood Angels and my beloved Sanguinius.

I just finished my final art class at Full Sail University. I have a Portfolio Assembly class for the next 4 weeks and then I'll graduate with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Game Art. So what does this have to do with 40K and why is there a picture of a Rhino in this post? Great questions.

Answers after the break.

For my final class, I decided that I wanted to do a model from 40K. I thought about doing a Storm Raven or a Thunderhawk, but this was my last month of art class and I didn't want to do anything too crazy. So I settled on the Rhino. The Rhino is the staple of every Space Marine army in 40K and I figure I could do something harder down the road or take the time to add additional geometry and turn this into a Baal Predator or a Vindicator.

Below is the near finished high resolution model. I made some changes afterward to the windows on the front and the headlight cages. This was modeled in Maya 2013 and rendered using Mental Ray. This is called an Ambient Occlusion pass or AO.


Here's the low resolution model with textures applied and displayed in the Unreal Engine. The model is better that what they used in the Dawn of War games, but the textures certainly aren't there yet and need some work. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. My next project is getting this produced on a 3D printer so I can open my own online store. I kid! I kid!


I'll be busy the next few weeks polishing my portfolio so I can try and get a job in the video game industry. I'll be moving to Austin, TX in the next 6 months so there are definitely exciting times ahead. Even with everything that will be going on, I should be able to get more hobby stuff done and start posting more frequently. It's not like I'll have weekly deadlines anymore and it'll be really nice to do what I want to do and relax for a change.

I have a bunch of tutorials in various stages of completion and some more Quick Tips on the way so stay tuned.

Till next time, 
–The Harrower

No comments:

Post a Comment