Thursday, January 20, 2011

Converting a Lascannon Twin-linked Plasmagun Turret


As promised, here's the tutorial on how to convert a lascannon and a twin-linked plasmagun turret. This is what you'll need to get started:
For the 40K bitz, I'd again recommend Hoard O' Bits on eBay. If you already followed my twin-linked assault cannons tutorial, you should already have the bit we'll be using from the Raven Wing assault cannon. Now that we have what we need, let's get to it.

Step 1: Cut the lascannon barrel from the housing. Use whatever method works best for you. I've been leaning more toward using an x-acto knife and cleaning up the edges with a needle file as I have a hard time cutting straight with a saw. I wouldn't cut the right lascannon like I did in the below pic. Use the left lascannon and I'll explain why later.


Step 2: Cut the front of the assault cannon from the housing. Keep the assault cannon bit and put it in your bitz box. You never know when you an use those extra pieces! Now, take the housing and cut it in half at the end of the ribbed piece like in the pics below.


Step 3: Cut off the tips of the plasmaguns at the redline below. I don't have a picture of this step because I ended up changing the turret before I glued everything together.


Step 4: Clean up any mold lines and dry fit the turret to ensure that it fits. You want to assemble your turret by following the pictures below and using liquid cement. The reason I suggested to cut the barrel of the left lascannon earlier is because the bit from the assault cannon appears to have plasma coils on only the one side and I think it looks better. You can click the below right pic and look at the red circled area to see what I am talking about.


Step 5: Use the pin vise to drill out the gun barrels and fill in any unsightly gaps with super glue. Let everything dry and paint it up!  When you are done, it should look like the below pics.


That's it for this tutorial. I hope you enjoyed the article. If you have any questions or comments please let  me know. I am currently in the process of working on my new gaming tables. I hope to have a tutorial on them soon.

I did get this photostudio in a box kit for my birthday today which should make taking pictures of my miniatures a lot easier. I plan to give it a try this weekend and post a review.

Till next time,
–The Harrower

4 comments:

  1. That conversion is the sickness. Awesome job dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks finaly i got somting to kill enemy guardsmen whit! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty nifty... I wonder how this'd work with plasma pistols instead of guns (since I don't have any spare special weapons anymore).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would work okay. The turret would obviously be smaller, but it should work fine.

    ReplyDelete